I used to throw all my “every day” makeup in one big makeup bag and call it a day. And while I still 100% do that when I’m traveling, I found I needed a more organized way to store my cosmetics at home. After the MUJI store opened in Toronto earlier this year I came across this MUJI Acrylic 5 Drawer Box. It was the perfect solution!
With its minimal, simplistic design I knew it would work in any space. I still have a box of makeup in my closet that houses all my blogging items that are still waiting to be reviewed. This is just to store the makeup I use on the regular, so I try to keep it as paired down as possible.
I’ve been using this for about 5 months now and it does an amazing job at keeping my makeup organized. Anytime I notice something has gone months without being used I tuck it away in my makeup bag for “items I only use occasionally”. Or if it’s old I’ll just toss it. Bye Felicia!
It’s been a great way to stay on top of purging makeup I no longer need and keeping my makeup collection at a reasonable size. If I can’t fit another lipstick in the drawer I have to wait until I’ve used one up before I buy a new one. My OCD and my wallet thanks me!
- Because it’s made of clear acrylic I can easily see what’s in each drawer
- It matches with pretty much any decor
- It’s durable. I shipped this in a storage container from Toronto to Portland, Oregon. This baby still doesn’t have one scratch on it!
- It’s versatile. Beyond makeup it can be used to store and jewellery as well. You can even buy co-ordinating jewellery trays from MUJI to keep all your necklaces and rings neatly tucked away
- The drawers aren’t very deep, so there are a few products that are too thick to fit and have to sit on top (usually foundations)
- Most makeup brushes don’t fit. Everyone I’ve seen using this as a makeup organizer has a separate container to store their brushes (like the mason jar I’m using – $2 from Dollarama!) You can also use one of the MUJI Acrylic Pots.
- There are no handles so the acrylic gets smudgy pretty quickly from pulling the drawers open. It’s nothing a quick wipe with glass cleaner can’t remedy, but if you get a lot of natural light it makes it more obvious
First Drawer – Lip Products
This isn’t all the lip products I own, but these are the majority as I’ve purged a ton of makeup in the last few months. These are the lippies that I reach for daily and keep coming back to. I love NYX lip products – thanks to Nancy from Spiffykerms for introducing me to them!
Second Drawer: Liners, Pencils & Mascaras
From left to right I have eyeliner, mascara, lip liner and brow pencils. The Dior Powder Eyebrow Pencil on the far right didn’t fit in the drawer until I sharpened it a few times but otherwise standard makeup pencils fit in here without issue.
Third Drawer: Eyeshadows
I have 3 eyeshadow palettes that don’t fit into these drawers so I just sit them on top. But here is where I store most of my individual eyeshadows. I’m not a huge eyeshadow lover so my collection is pretty small. The shining stars are the NUDESTIX Magnetic Eye Colour Pencils on the right, I use them quite a bit. They are longer than the average makeup pencil but they fit in the drawer – just barely though!
Fourth Drawer: Powders, Blush & Bronzer
I don’t know how it happened but my collection of makeup from theBalm fits perfectly in this drawer! In fact, there’s enough room for me to stack them two-high if I wanted. The HOOLA Bronzer from Benefit Cosmetics is almost too high to fit but it works!
Fifth Drawer: Primer, Concealer & Foundation
I usually have one powder and one liquid foundation in the rotation but I just ran out of my tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation (which was too high to fit into these drawers anyway). So right now I am just working through the rest of this Maybelline Dream Wonder Foundation which is the best drugstore foundation I’ve ever used.
I have to say, even I am impressed at how few products are in this drawer! I’m actually not a huge fan of the Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous concealer that I just bought so if you guys have a drugstore suggestion please let me know!
How do you store your makeup? Organized chaos or super organized? Let me know in the comments, I’d love to know : )